Picture this: A warm summer day, you’re driving down the highway, perhaps heading to the beach, your sunglasses are on, and the radio is playing one of your favorite songs.
Just the thought brings a smile to your face, doesn’t it? Scientists have found that when listening to music, our brains release dopamine – the feel good chemical – which in turn improves our mood.
Here are the top 6 benefits of listening to music:
- Music soothes. Have a hard time falling asleep? Studies have found music has the ability to soothe your mind and help you get to sleep more quickly and sleep more soundly.
- Music motivates. Many joggers and elite athletes will tell you – they swear by their playlists. Music can get you going even when your body is tired. It motivates you to reach that next goal.
- Music heals. Scientists have found a connection between music and our ability to empathize. So, listening to a loved ones’ favorite song can help you remember them. And, listening to melancholy songs can help you better empathize with those around you.
- Music energizes. If you are feeling down in the dumps, there is nothing that can perk you up more than some good tunes (maybe throw in some dance moves as well).
- Music reminds you. Ever turn on the radio and hear that #1 favorite song from your high school days? It takes you right back to that moment in time. Music has a way of reminding us about our pasts and can even help you regain your sense of self.
- Music keeps you healthier. In addition to the cardio benefits of rocking out to your favorite AC/DC song, music can also help you eat less. Georgia Tech University researchers found that soft music when paired with low lighting helped people eat less during one study.
Ready to pump up the volume? Take your musical enjoyment one step further and pair your favorite music with sunshine, friends, and good times by hosting a backyard gathering.
Super-party-planner tip: Skip the outdated boombox and the tinny sound of your Bluetooth speaker and enjoy a beautiful whole home audio system instead. Your friends and your brain will thank you! Whole home audio systems give each room inside and your backyard party space access to individualized music choices. While your son jams out to Post Malone in his room, you and your guests can go out on the deck and enjoy blasts from the past such as Cyndi Lauper, Bon Jovi, or Van Halen.
Need outdoor speakers?
Check out our speak specials for June.